CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

10 August 2012

To Realize, You Must Believe

- by Janelle (IM)

The last few days have been hard on my emotions. After the excitement of having my follicles grow by 50% they pretty much decided they were done. I've been going in daily since Tuesday and I'm now reading between 13 and 16. Not too sure if I mentioned before, but what the doctors would like to see is a measurement of 18 or more. This said, I'm scheduled for egg retrieval on Sunday morning. My estrogen levels have plateaued (based on blood tests) so it's time to go in and get out what they can. I can only hope that we end up with 2 or 3 quality embryos once this part of the process is complete!

Part of me feels a sense of relief to have a date set and the other side of me is now feeling nervous about the procedure. I'll be sedated which is good because my abdomen is feeling pretty bloated and tender so I can't imagine having a needle poked around down there or shoving on my belly to get my ovaries in a good position. Since they're not attached to a uterus they're kind of all over the place. Since day one of monitoring ultrasounds, my right ovary has always been hard to find.

Some "good" news...as of 9:15 this evening, Joel gave me my last shot! My protocol changed a bit today in prep for the extraction and this last needle contained hormones to stimulate ovulation. Tomorrow I only need to worry about taking antibiotics and then not eating or drinking after midnight into the homestretch of the retrieval.

I think that the hormones are finally getting to my head, haha! I'll admit that after our visit to VFC this morning I cried quite a bit and needed some lie down time by myself in bed. I know I'm doing the best that I can and most of this is out of my control but it's hard not to be hard one oneself and think that maybe there is something more that I could have done or rather could be doing. Everything goes through your mind. I've often thought that maybe I should have been doing acupuncture as a means to increase blood supply to the ovaries, to the littlest of things like drinking more water.

All in all I have to say that this is one crazy journey and I mean this in the best of ways! Like I said to Kim the other day, one of the greatest things about this past week is the time we've spent together. Getting to know her and her family that much more has been such a treat for me! I look forward to when I can offer the same hospitality to Kim, Carl and the kids when they make a trip out to Calgary.

Wish me luck for Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment