CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

11 August 2014

One year later... first birthday!

~ By Kim

I can't believe it's been a year! Some days it still seems like just yesterday, and at other times it feels like a lifetime ago.

July 25th was Myer's first birthday. It's crazy to think of how different life was just a year ago.

We rented a cabin for a week at Shuswap Lake in the Okanagan with Janelle, Joel and June (Janelle's mom), so we could all celebrate together. And it was fabulous. It was so great to see everyone and what the past year has brought everyone. For his actual birthday, all the grandparents and cousins from near and far joined us as well, so it really was a quite a celebration and a real party. 




Here are some of my favourite pictures from our trip:

Different faces of Myer

Lily, Rowan and Asher

Carl and I with Myer.

When I look at this picture, I can't help but feel grateful. I could never have done any of this without this man beside me supporting me through everything, both with the surrogacy and in life. Having Myer really was such a team effort.



Myer

Bedtime stories with 3 of my favourite babes.
Myer and I, just before the birthday celebration.
Not sure who's more excited. 

 Asher and Lily at the beach. Cousin love.
Our two families.
Me and Myer. 
Some moments were still surreal for me.

People still ask me how I'm doing and what's it's like for me with Myer. I'm amazed at how time can change perspective and give insight. I'm doing great and feel so fortunate to have been part of this journey. At 3 and almost 6 years old, the girls are amazing and bring so much joy to our lives, despite the moments that they make us want to pull our hair out. I love watching them grow, the people they are becoming and the relationship between the two of them as sisters. I'm happy to have been able to give that gift of siblingship to Asher and Myer. Is that a word???

Now that a fair amount of time has passed, it's easier to look back and be able to acknowledge all the different parts of the journey, including some of the challenges that were hard to acknowledge while in the midst of them. I can look back and remember both the good and hard times, and accept them all as part of the journey. 

As I've shared earlier, we did have complications with Myer's birth. Physically, I got a little banged up and have subsequently had some difficulties. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, I'm being sent for surgery next month. On the slate is a cystocele and rectocele repair, bladder lift, pubovaginal sling, overlapping sphincteroplasty and hysterectomy. Sounds like a full gyne-makeover. Ugh.

I have mixed emotions about this, as I'm a bit nervous, never having had surgery before, but hopeful that once it's all done, everything should be where it's supposed to be and back in working order. Sometimes it sort of feels like this will be the final step in the journey. 

Since we got back from our trip, we've been making the most of the rest of the summer. We got a new trailer and have been having fun bombing around on the island, camping with the girls. We live in such a beautiful place, and it's been nice to get out and enjoy the beauty of the West Coast. 

Lily will be starting grade 1 and Rowan will be in preschool next month. Crazy how time flies, especially when I think that Rowan was only 8 months old when we started down this road. 

Together, Carl and I have taken some time to reflect on the past few years. To look back at all that we've done, and start making plans for the future. I feel so fortunate in so many ways, and can't wait to see what our next chapter will be. 







8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story! happy family :)

    I would like to share this surrogacy community link for people into surrogacy in US and in Canada. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete