CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

21 November 2012

Betas

~ by Kim

A Beta test is the blood test done to measure the amount of HCG (pregnancy hormone) in the blood. 

With IVF, they do more than one test; first to confirm pregnancy and subsequent tests to make sure that the pregnancy is progressing properly and implantation was successful. I had my first test on Monday morning and that afternoon the clinical co-ordinator of the fertility clinic called to give me my results. She told me that normally for the stage we're at, they like to see the number over 100. Guess what mine was?



Yep, 568! I was completely shocked! She told me that the level was quite high, and that I should start preparing myself of the possibility that there might be more than one baby in there. Even though we obviously knew that this was a possibility, it's so different hearing it from the staff and being told to start preparing myself. I was excited, nervous and scared all at the same time. I thought that one baby is a piece of cake* - have done it twice before so I know what to expect. But the prospect of carrying twins would be a different pregnancy altogether and something that is totally unknown to me. (Though there is something appealing about the idea of "eating for 3!" Haha!)

So this morning was Beta # 2:

1480!!! 

We had met our doubling criteria and then some! We have an ultrasound booked on December 10th, and that's when we'll find out if there will be one or two babies arriving next summer!
Holy cow!


* Having a baby is not really a "piece of cake." Hardly. If I end up having twins though, I may change my mind on this statement later on.


7 comments:

  1. wo hoo!!!! I can't wait to see if it's one or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Did you guys go through the same thing? Wasn't your first # quite high too?

      Delete
    2. yes, our numbers were all really high. Turns out Betsy is really good at making HCG for one baby.

      Delete
  2. I am a GS currently 21 weeks pregnant. We, too, transferred 2 perfect 3 day embryos. At 14dp3dt my beta was 451, and at 21dp3dt I was 9,068. Sounds like your numbers are really strong, but could go either way! Congrats, and looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on being over half way there!!! You didn't say though if it was 1 or 2 for you? :)

      Delete
    2. Just one! All is just perfect so far. Looking forward to your ultrasound results!

      Delete
    3. Awesome to hear!!!! Here's hoping for the same! :)

      Delete