CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

20 August 2013

From intended to actual father

- by Joel (IF)

It has been a little over three weeks since Myer was born.  It seems ages ago since being in the labour an delivery room watching it all happen. The stress of life with a newborn, and near 3 year old, has faded into relative routine and the new normal of managing life with two beautiful boys.

I have had some time to reflect and think about the last year.  WOW what a year!

When I do think back the thing that always comes to my mind is how lucky we are. Not only did we have the possibility of surrogacy offered to us, we had the best possible person offer herself to be our surrogate. Kim acted as our guide through the whole process. She proceeded with such passion, knowledge and eagerness. In the down times she was emotional and concerned while in the up times she was elated and optomistic. Regardless of where we were in the process she remained focused on the role she took and simply moved on. This unique and enviable character in Kim showed itself during the birth in full and impressive form. She worked so hard for over 12 hours with the same impressive and unwavering focus to move forward and get the job done. Often with a smile, always with determination.

Kim has taught me a new type of giving, a new type of selflessness that I did not know existed.  She has not only given us another child, she has given me a deeper faith in the goodness that exists in people.

Thank you Kim, you are incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Ack! Joel, don't you know I'm not even a month post partum and totally hormonal!?! This makes me all emotional yet again! :) This touched my heart, and brought both a smile and a tear. You make me sound pretty good; I'll have to bookmark this for when I'm feeling down or need a self-esteem boost :)
    Thank you. xox

    ReplyDelete